Saturday, January 21, 2012

Beijing - 23 October 2011

Today was the highlight of the trip for me - the Great Wall.

We drove an hour or so out of Beijing to the section of the wall we were going to climb. It wasn't at all what I expected it to be and was definitely an amazing experience. Like everywhere in Beijing there were masses of people trying to make the climb, but thankfully that thinned out the higher up we got. Unfortunately the weather was pretty ordinary (cold and rainy), but while I started the trip up with many layers on, I ended it in a t-shirt (as it got very hot on the way up)!!

On the way back into the city we were taken to a Jade factory where we also had lunch and then a very quick stop (because it was raining and freezing) at the Olympic site to see the birds nest and water cube.

After lunch we headed to the Copy Markets - a huge indoor market that sells (you guessed it) copies of everything. In particular Louis Vuitton - I'm pretty sure I got asked a couple of hundred times in the span of an hour if I wanted a Louis Vuitton handbag (I think it may have been the only English words some of them new)!!

It was then off to an acrobat show before heading to our final dinner for the trip. This is the one I had been waiting for - the Peking Duck!! What we didn't realise was that they were going to feed us a whole meal and then bring out the Peking Duck. Nevertheless I still managed to fit in quite a few pancakes (they were definitely worth the wait too)!!

Here are some pictures from today:

Great Wall











Olympic Site

No comments:

Post a Comment